From:
[log in to unmask] (Paul Wendt (SAR))
Date:
================= HES POSTING =================

HESsians, Here is the current Kress Notice.  --Paul

====

KRESS SEMINAR IN HISTORY OF ECONOMIC THOUGHT
Paul Wendt, coordinator

Kress seminar participants,

Our next seminar is Thursday, 21 Nov, 7:40-10 pm, in Littauer M16 on the
Harvard University campus.  We feature a paper with group discussion.

    Yngve Ramstad (Economics, U of Rhode Island)
        The Social Psychological Foundations of John R. Commons's
        Institutional Economics: The Significance of George Herbert Mead

Sociologist Alexa Albert (URI) is co-author.

YNGVE RAMSTAD was the co-ordinator of this seminar for four years and has
presented several papers here, in inimitable voice and style.  Most of his
research features the life's work of John R. Commons or the history of
"Institutionalism writ large". This observer hopes that a book on Commons
is forthcoming for the millenium.  I have not read this paper and I rely
on YR for the following description.
    "We argue that (1) Commons insisted that psychology is fundamental to
understanding transactions; (2) social psychology, not individual
psychology, is of greatest relevance; (3) the substructure of Commons's
negotiational psychology is clearly Deweyan in substance; (4) Mead's
social psychological framework provides a superior foundation to that
provided by Dewey (Commons, however, apparently never knew of Mead's
"social behaviorism"); and (5) institutionalists writ large should
consider the idea of treating Mead's work as foundational for
institutionalism writ large."

This is a long paper, available by your arrangement with the author.

Dinner
    Anyone interested in dinner and conversation before the seminar is
    invited to gather at the Singha House Thai restaurant (1105 Mass. Ave)
    at 6:00.  The food is great, matched only by the company.  The Singha
    House is prepared to handle late additions to a party (to about 6:30
    for dinner or 7:00 for appetizer or drink, given our time constraint).

I hope to see you Thursday,

----Paul
                             [imagine my signature here, P/\/\/\/\t]

P.S.

Next Kress session, 12 Dec 96
    David Levy (George Mason U)
        Sharing the Lashes of Carlyle's Whip

with two discussants to be arranged.  (No, the discussants need not share
the lashes with David.)  The paper concerns Thomas Carlyle and the
classical economists on race, slavery, and universal values; and humanist
criticism of economics in our time as well as theirs.