From:
[log in to unmask] (Bradley W Bateman)
Date:
================= HES POSTING =================

In his most recent note, Tony Brewer makes the reasonable point
that many types of history of economic thought "make sense" and
should be pursued. He argues that we might want internalist
histories, externalist histories, and hybrid blends of the
two. This seems a hard position with which to disagree.

But I cannot help but reflect on the ironic juxtaposition of this
argument with the reality of how the history of thought has been
done in the past 30-odd years (in the post war period?) How much
internalist history have we had? How much externalist? How much
of the internalist history has been Whiggish? How much of this
internalist, Whiggish history has been undertaken out of a fear
that writing fuller, more complete histories would further marginalize
the history of thought? How much of it has been written to appease
the sensibilities of the people who have taken the whole discipline
down a path that has removed historical reasoning and history itself
from the study of economics?

I realize as I reflect on Tony's note that some of the urgency
with which I have argued for (and tried to write) histories of economic
thought that consider external influences stems from what I see as
the implicit acquiescence of (most) historians of thought to
an unfortunate turn in the discipline. (By the way, my point here
about the unfortunate turn is one made by Arrow, Solow, and Baumol
in recent years, as well as the litany of "outsiders" who have railed
against mainstream practice during this time.) It must certainly be true
that there are still valuable, pure "internalist" histories of economic
thought to be written. There must be, for instance, technical mistakes
in past works that have led to ambiguities and/or misunderstandings.
But how few of these get written in a year? In a decade? Not many,
I judge. Instead we get the bad, Whiggish histories that don't tell
us anything new or worth knowing.

How ironic it seems that the majority of the "internalist" work
produced may itself be a reflection of the current discipline and
the myriad of external influences that have shaped it into an ahistorical
project that has less and less influence in central banks and ministries
of finance. Is it possible that some amongst us will be reluctant to
do/accept externalist history because they can't or don't want to see their
own position as compromised?

My reflection here may be completely wrong, and it is always difficult to
speculate reasonably about other people's motives; but it strikes
me that the debate about writing a fuller, more complete history
of economics is itself more complex than the kind of "purely theoretical"
argument that Tony is making. In the abstract, his argument seems
reasonable. Indeed, I can extend his defense along quite plausible lines.
But there's the reality of who we are and what we have become in the
last 3-4 decades; and my own belief that the more interesting, more
satisfying work in our discipline will have a strong externalist impulse
flows from my understanding of that reality. Thus, in part, I want more
externally influenced histories simply because I find them more satisfying
and richer. But I also want them because I see internalist histories as a
product of what I don't like in contemporary economics. (The particular
kind of external influences I am concerned with are those that reflect
politics, the policy process, and public opinion and I see this as a
way to get at a broader conception of "economic thought".)

In the abstract, I understand Tony's desire to hold onto internalist
histories, but my own desire for something else goes beyond the abstract.

Brad Bateman
Grinnell College