From:
[log in to unmask] (Ross B. Emmett)
Date:
====================== HES POSTING ===================

[I am forwarding this to HES because the conference organizers are
particularly interested in drawing several historians of economics into
the conversation about the use of core texts in undergraduate curricula.
Even if you cannot present, they are interested in your attendance since
there will be plenty of time for discussion.-- RBE]

Dear Colleagues:

This letter invites you to the Third Annual Conference of the Association
for Core Texts and Courses (ACTC), April 10-13, 1997 in Philadelphia.
Many of you know that ACTC advances and promotes core text
curricula and the careers of those teachers, scholars, and
administrators who have dedicated part or all of their professional
activities to general education grounded in required core texts.

Last year we grew from our original 23 schools to 53 from across the
continent.  This year we expect to double individual and institutional
participation.  Comprised of individuals and universities, colleges, and
community colleges from state, secular, and religious traditions, ACTC
draws upon all disciplines and all heritages.

The Third Annual Conference's theme is:

        TRADITION AND INNOVATION: THE FULL AND OPEN DISCUSSION

ACTC believes that the debate and discussion over canon and core can be
conducted more productively.  ACTC "brings together colleges and
universities to promote the integrated and common study of world
classics and other texts of major cultural significance. . . . ACTC is
committed to the education of free citizens, equipped [with] . . . the
best that has been thought and expressed in Western and other
traditions" (ACTC Organizing Statement). Hence, in its purpose,
activities, and conference ACTC faces the problems and offers the
real, wide ranging, diverse and practical solutions that an enormous
variety of schools
have brought to problems of building cores and using texts that unite
faculties and student.  Since no tradition can exist without
innovation, ACTC's third conference focuses on these two topics as
complementary sources of strength in curricula, individual courses, and
texts, which institutions and individuals have incorporated into
undergraduate education across North America.

In short, the discussion about core and canon is happening at ACTC and,
in our five plenary sessions, we have the speakers who are equipped to
lead that discussion:

                IN A FRIENDLY DEBATE
        On Core Texts in the Arts and Humanities:

        GERALD GRAFF, University of Chicago, author of "Beyond the
        Culture Wars: how teaching the conflicts can revitalize American
        Education,"
                        and
        ROGER SHATTUCK, Boston University, author of "The Innocent Eye:
        on modern literature and the arts."

In addition:

The Interdiscipline of Core Texts:
        LOUISE COWAN, Former Dean of Humanities, University of Dallas;
        author, "The Fugitive Group: A Literary History."

Science and Technology in Core Texts:
        ROBERT L. FREY, Vice President for Academic Affairs, Charleston
        University; former editor of the "Lynchburg College Symposium
        Series: Science, Technology, and Society."

Social Sciences and Core Texts:
        HAMID DABASHI, Columbia University's Chair of the Core; author of
        "Theology of Discontent: the ideological foundations of the Islamic
        Revolution."

Director's Address:
        STEVE ZELNICK, Temple University' Director or Intellectual Heritage,
        ACTC Director; author, "Student's Introduction to Darwin" (forthcoming).

Short paper (five pages, double spaced) panel sessions will follow each
plenary session.  You are invited to submit a panel paper suggestion. We
have 96 openings.  Papers should address "Tradition
and Innovation" and, so that we all end up talking about books, devote
3/4 of one page to a specific text (as example of or focus for the paper's
argument.)  Papers may address curricular development or one text (or author).
In addition, this year, since a
course is the "book" of a teacher, we are especially interested in papers which
discuss traditions and innovations within a given course.

We would like to update you on ACTC services:

        Annual Conference which is one of the few truly interdisciplinary
        conferences drawing on all branches of knowledge;

        Publication opportunities:  we are currently negotiating with an
        establihed academic press to publish selected papers from the
        conference;

        A Newsletter, "Core," to keep abreast of ACTC developments;

        An ACTC Website, at www.smumn.edu/ACTC/ACTC.html with descriptive
        information, sample conference papers, and, soon, a listserve and
        job line;

        A "Directory" of ACTC Members to keep contacts and conversations going;

        A "Program Descriptions" Booklet to offer models of the wide
        diversity in texts and curricular programs available at ACTC schools.

Please pass this e-mail on to colleagues and other list-serves which you
think might be interested.

If you would like to join us in April, let me know by e-mail. If you have a
panel paper suggestion, either write me a quick note or call.

Sincerely,

Scott

J. Scott Lee
Intellectual Heritage Program