From:
[log in to unmask] (Michael Williams)
Date:
===================== HES POSTING ====================

This is a bit tangential to the thread, so busy readers may stop here.

In the course of an otherwise interesting and thoughtful contribution, Tony
Brewer wrote:
> The best fit I can think of to either definition of Whig history is
> Marxist history as done in communist countries (when there were such
> things). Western Marxism (and Marx's) seems to be a variant -
> justifying future, confidently anticipated, victory as inevitable.
and later:
 For the study of
> classical and preclassical economics, perhaps Marxist-Whigs have
> dominated, ... .

Tony knows quite a lot about the development of Marx's thought, which will
presumably give these off-the-cuff remarks some credence. However, as a
generalisation across Marxist intellectual tendencies and historical time. In my
own experience, Western Marxism - especially in economics - is dominated by a
critique of capitalism, with little to offer to utopian sketches of the future.
IMO, much the same could be said of the main body of Marx's own work.
The internal logic of Tony's comment is also odd: according to it Marxism
exhibits, not a Whiggish tendency to justify its intellectual position by its
interpretation of the historical development of Marxist thought, but rather some
claim to be able to predict the complex social future, presumably on the basis
that its science of society is either 'true', or a good instrumental predictor.
Neither position characterises the vast majority of the Marxist writings  of say
the last 30 years, with which I am most familiar, nor the classic Marxist canon
from which they draw inspiration. Such charges may have had more bite in the
intervening period, and they certainly have characterised ignorant caricatures,
both those used by Stalinist style political parties to legitimate their
regimes, and those of social scientists who seem to have felt it necessary to
construct a straw marxisant person in order to discredit viewpoints with which
they knew the disagreed, but felt unable to successfully criticise by argument
or evidence.
I would not have thought Tony Brewer belonged in either of these camps, so I am
not sure what he is up to.
Michael
-----
-----
Dr Michael Williams
"Books are Weapons"

Department of Economics                 Home:
School of Social Sciences                       26 Glenwood Avenue
De Montfort University                  Southampton
Hammerwood Gate                         SO16 3QA
Kents Hill
Milton Keynes
MK7 6HP
tel:+1908 834876                                tel/fax: +1703 768641
fax:+1908 834979
email: [log in to unmask]                       [log in to unmask]