From:
[log in to unmask] (Fred Carstensen)
Date:
========================== HES POSTING ===================

Summary of "THE DECLINE OF ECONOMICS" New Yorker Magazine, 12/2/96

John Cassidy surveys the current state of economics.  He opens with a
portrait
of William Vickery, who "refused to play along with [the] charade," and
indicates that Vickery's recent Nobel prize was based on work that had
practical relevance. He refused to expand on "the obscure mathematical
theory" that won him the prize, insisting instead to talk about "practical
ideas."
Vickery himself characterized the comment by the Nobel committee as
"one of my digressions into abstract economics. At best, it's of minor
significance in terms of human welfare."

>From that encouraging opening, Cassidy goes on to catalogue the rapid
decline
of economics--precipitous drop in majors, especially at leading
institutions,
corporations discovering they don't need their economists, high-tech firms
never hiring one, and Wall Street firms refusing to hire doctorates in
economics unless they have had "a three-to-four year cleansing
experience to neutralize the brainwashing that takes place in these
graduate programs."

Cassidy then gives a brief profile of the evolution of the field--which has
made none of the intellectual progress of physics or chemistry since
Samuelson's Foundations.  He has revealing interviews with several
leading lights, including one with Lucas, who acknowledged the
inaccuracy of his theories, and Greg Mankiw, who declares
"economists are probably overfunded, given the rate at which we make
progress." Mankiw continued: "We need more well-trained high-school
teachers of economics, nor more Ph.D. economists.  If you spend a
year studying economics, you learn a tremendous amount.  If you spend five
years studying it the learning process slows down very quickly."

Cassidy closes with a call for the abolition of the Nobel prize in
economics,
a prize which has, since 1969, "helped foster a professional culture that
values technical wizardry above all else.  ...A lot of contemporary
economics
has little to do with improving human welfare, which was supposed to be the
whole point of Nobel's bequest."

My comment: what I found striking was the degree to which Cassidy
constructs
his analysis with the statements of leading economists; this is not simply
a critical editorial by an "outsider."

FC

Prof. Fred V. Carstensen                   Office: (860) 486-0614
Department of Economics                    Dept:   (860) 486-3022
341 Mansfield Road                         FAX:    (860) 486-4463
University of Connecticut                  Home:   (860) 242-6355
Storrs, CT 06269-1063                e-mail: [log in to unmask]