From:
[log in to unmask] (Paul Wendt (SAR))
Date:
====================== HES POSTING ======================

[Folks---- Note that the paper is available from the author,
David Levy <[log in to unmask]>, not from me. ----Paul ]

KRESS SEMINAR IN THE HISTORY OF ECONOMIC THOUGHT
Paul Wendt
64 Riverside St #3
Watertown, MA 02172-2652
    tel: 617-926-8253
    email: [log in to unmask]

Kress seminar participants,

Our next seminar is Thursday, 12 Dec, 7:40-10 pm, in Littauer M16 on the
Harvard University campus.  We feature a paper with two discussants:

    David Levy (George Mason U)
            Sharing Lashes From Carlyle's Whip

    Discussants:
            Tim Alborn (Harvard U)
            C.George Caffentzis (U Southern Maine)

DAVID LEVY is known for patrolling the marches of the History of
Economics, from economic aspects of the works of Homer in ancient Greece
to statistical aspects of the works of academic economists today.
    Here he considers classical English economics and its literary critics
--especially Thomas Carlyle, who coined "the dismal science"-- on race,
slavery, wage labor, poverty, and more.  Metaphorically, the classical
economists proudly share the "lashes from Carlyle's whip" with the slaves
whom they labored to emancipate.
    According to Levy, modern professional economics and its humanist
critics are descended from the Victorian English version of the debate.
Thus this paper contributes to the history of the criticism of economics,
the history of the public image of economics, or the "history of anti-
economics" for short (my term).
    The paper is available from the author: [log in to unmask]

TIM ALBORN (History, Harvard) is a historian of science, and of Victorian
England, who focuses on economic thought outside the academy, by the
"other economists": practitioners such as bankers, accountants, actuaries,
regulators, and financial jounalists.  Many of you know his project from
his annual presentations here.  A book is forthcoming with Routledge.

GEORGE CAFFENTZIS (Philosophy, U.So.Maine) is reinterpreting the famous
work of Locke [see __Clipped Coins...__ 1989], Berkeley, and Hume through
the lens of money, especially their forgotten writings on some practical
monetary issues of the day.  The British Empire looms large in the
trilogy, including themes of race, ethnicity, slavery, and capitalism.
                                                              --PW thruout

Dinner
    Anyone interested in dinner and conversation before the seminar is
    invited to gather at the Singha House Thai restaurant (1105 Mass. Ave)
    at 6:00.  The food is great, matched only by the company.  The Singha
    House is prepared to handle late additions to a party (to about 6:30
    for dinner or 7:00 for appetizer or drink, given our time constraint).

I hope to see you Thursday,

----Paul                    [imagine my signature here, P/\/\/\/\t]

   KRESS NEWSLETTER, 3 Dec 96  (this space may be yours; contact me)

Next session ??? - 16 Jan or later
Isn't that the distant future?  Our next session might feature Philippe
Fontaine 16 Jan; if not him then probably a later date.  I have several
names and topics pencilled in for "Spring" 1997 but no firm dates yet.

================ FOOTER TO HES POSTING ================