From:
[log in to unmask] (Greg Ransom)
Date:
====================== HES POSTING ======================

Conversation (and "intellection" generally) is aided by examples.
It might help to clarify matters if an article or two (or a book or
two) in the history of economic thought were picked out at random,
and then discussed in terms of its virtues and defects as a contribution
to the history of economic thought, e.g. an article or two out of
HOPE or The European J. of the H. of Econ. Thought.  For example, what
is the relation of the current discussion of 'Whig' history to
Donald Walker's "The Structure of Walras's Mature Model of Capital Goods
Markets", or Nahid Aslanbeigui's "The Cost Controversy: Pigouvian
Economics in Disequilibrium", in the Summer, 1996 issue of the European
J. of the H. of Econ. Thought?  Or to Bruna Ingrao and Giorgio Israel's
_The Invisible Hand_ or Frank Machovec's _Perfect Competition and the
Transformation of Economics_?

Almost always we are better at evaluating examples than we are at
evaluating abstractions untied to cases.  What are the cases that inform
the abstractions?

Greg Ransom
Dept. of Philosophy
UC-Riverside