From:
[log in to unmask] (E. Roy Weintraub)
Date:
====================== HES POSTING ======================

Greg Ransom wrote:

> Conversation (and "intellection" generally) is aided by examples.
> It might help to clarify matters if an article or two (or a book or
> two) in the history of economic thought were picked out at random,
> and then discussed in terms of its virtues and defects as a contribution
> to the history of economic thought, e.g. an article or two out of
> HOPE or The European J. of the H. of Econ. Thought.

>  What are the cases that inform the abstractions?

Ok, Greg, I'll "bite". Consider the current (Fall 1996) JHET paper by
Horwitz, comment by Cottrell, and Horwitz's reply to Cottrell.
Consider Cottrell's remarks, say on page 309: "Considered as an
exercise in the history of economic thought, the paper is lacking
....Basically the paper is a piece of advocacy for (an augmented
version of) Hayek's cycle theory." Horwitz replies that "In the
sense that I was trying to set out an Austrian perspective on
macroeconomic theory, it would be fair to call the paper a piece of
`advocacy'... [But] I would hope that there is a place in economics
for attempting to push forward particular approaches from, as it
were, the inside."

This, need I remark, appears in the "official journal" of the History of
Economics Society. The exchange takes up 31 pages. I present
Horwitz's paper as an exemplar of work
that has been, and in the terms of my "Editorial" and Henderson's
"Editorial", may be a contribution to (neo)Austrian economics, but is
no contribution whatsoever to the history of economics. What
editorial policy encourages such appearances in the JHET? Inquiring
minds want to know.

Is this specific enough, Greg?

E. Roy Weintraub, Professor of Economics
Director, Center for Social and Historical Studies of Science
Duke University, Box 90097
Durham, North Carolina 27708-0097

Phone and voicemail: (919) 660-1838
Fax: (919) 684-8974