From:
[log in to unmask] (Greg Ransom)
Date:
==================== HES POSTING ====================

I find Peter's categories of 'methodology of economics', 'intellectual
history of science' and 'history of thought as contemporary theory', and
his implication that there is some cut-and-dried distinction to be made
between such 'logical categories' to be mostly rubbish -- the best work in
the advance of thinking in Darwinian biology can't be 'cut-at-the-joints'
in such clear categories -- e.g., see the work of Ghiselin, Mayr, and Hull.
All at once, in one complex structure, Ghiselin, Mayr, and Hull have
transformed our understanding of the logical status and explanatory
strategy
of Darwinian biology, its history, and how it should be understood -- while
advocating this change, and attacking rival pictures, i.e. while acting as
'ideological advocates'.  You can't isolate these endeavors as stand-alone
domains of inquiry, they are inextricably part of a whole.

I find so much of what passes to be 'methodology', 'history', or
'contemporary theory' to be both blind and sterile for the very reason
that folks attempt to pretend that these are isolated endeavors.  My
criticism here goes beyond June Flanders' familiar point that contemporary
theorists waste a tremendous amount of time 're-inventing the wheel'
every generation.  The point can perhaps best be illustrated by pointing
out how efforts to understand and recast a set of problems implicates
all at once the logic and explanatory strategy of an endeavor, its
historical
understanding, and contemporary answers and constructions.  It is only a
myth to believe that this only goes on in Darwinian biology, and not in
other areas, such as physics, political theory, the problem of
communication,
etc.

Now it is true that, e.g., Ghiselin and Mayr, put themselves at greater
risk because they so clearly advance theses and findings that challenge the
standard accounts of folks who wish to avoid being held to standards that
engage more than what they hope can be the self-contained world of 'method'
or 'history' or 'contemporary theory'.  For example, someone who in the
past has
attempted something like Ghiselin and Mayr might have produced work that
does
not stand-up or contribute to the conversation by the lights of competent
work on issues of logical status, contemporary theory, or history of ideas.
In the light of criticism, Ghiselin and Mayr have continued to advance in
the same inclusive direction, only doing this better.  Others retreat and
say
they no longer wish to be held to the standards of some supposed
independent
domain of 'method', or 'theory', or 'history'.  But what we find is that
these folks continue to bend to the wholist results and contributions of
folks
like Ghiselin and Mayr -- who lead the way in important dimensions for all
of
those seeking protection in 'independent domains'.

Greg Ransom
Dept. of Philosophy
UC-Riverside
http://members.aol.com/gregransom/ransom.htm