From:
[log in to unmask] (Arjo Klamer)
Date:
====================== HES POSTING ====================

[Note from the moderator: This message was posted on Friday and
mysteriously made it to the archives but not to the subscribers. Apologies
for possible multiple postings. -- E-MS]

I find the soul searching on this net all very interesting.  How come that
we
have to be so preoccupied with a justification for our interest in the
history of thought?  The answer is obvious: the establishment in our
profession does not take our work seriously and relegates our sessions at
the
AEA meetings to rooms that are hard to find lest we may disturb the main
proceedings.  Rightly so.  Our colleagues have very good reasons to ignore
history.  After all, they are in no need of it.  Their rhetoric, their way
of
arguing, in terms of mechanistic models, precludes the historical argument.
History comes in the form of time series.  When they do history, it has to
be
cliometric history.  Economists who think and argue this way, have no need
for history of thought except maybe to get some ideas in the pre-analytic
phase (the process of discovery), or just for fun (Samuelson's motivation),

Accordingly, as long as the mechanic modeling dominates the economic mode
of
reasoning, there is no hope for a serious appreciation of historical work.
Only when changes will occur at that end can we expect to get serious
interest for our work from our colleagues.

Arjo Klamer
Erasmus University