From:
[log in to unmask] (Robert Dimand)
Date:
====================== HES POSTING ===================

[NOTE: Despite Matthew F.'s request that we send posting about Japanese
economic thought to his student directly, I thought that some subscribers
might be interested in the bibliographic notices. When Robert Dimand sent
me his response privately, I asked him to post it to the list. If others
respond,
please send your response to the list as well as to Matthew's student.
Also,
because this was a student request for bibliographic help, I have added
Matthew's question and Robert's response to the log of questions through
the "ASK THE PROFESSOR" button on our website. The log of FAQs is slowly
growing, and you can check them out at
http://www.augustana.ab.ca/~emmer/ask_the_prof.html. Other responses to
this query that are posted to the list or to me privately will be added to
Robert's
response. -- RBE]

A recent posting on HES asked for references in English on Japanese
economic thought in the Tokugawa period. These may prove useful:

Tessa Morris-Suzuki, A History of Japanese Economic Thought, London
and New York: Routledge and Nissan Institute for Japanese Studies
(University of Oxford), 1989, Chapter 1, "Economic thought in
Tokugawa Japan," pp. 7-43.

Honjo Eijiro, Economic Theory and History of Japan in the Tokugawa
Period, New York: Russell and Russell, 1965 (also many articles by
Honjo in English in the Kyoto University Economic Review 1938-42 and
1959, listed in the AEA Index of Economic Journals).

Donald Keene, The Japanese Discovery of Europe, 1720-1830, revised
edition, Stanford University Press, 1969 -- includes Chapter 5,
"Honda Toshiaki's Economic Theories," pp. 91-122, and "Appendix:
Excerpts from the Writings of Honda Toshiaki," pp. 175-228.

Chuhei Sugiyama and Hiroshi Mizuta, Enlightenment and Beyond: Political
Economy Comes to Japan, University of Tokyo Press, 1988.

Robert Dimand
Department of Economics
Brock University
St. Catharines, Ontario L2S 3A1