From:
[log in to unmask] (Paul Wendt (SAR))
Date:
===================== HES POSTING ======================

Preface to HES list:

Laurence Moss was HES President, 1994-95, and is a member of the Executive
Committee today.  He initiated the discussion of getting the Society on
internet and Babson College provided the first home for this e-mail list
in winter 1995.  Thank you, Larry.

The paper is available from Laurence Moss <[log in to unmask]>, not from me.

----Paul Wendt, Coordinator, Kress Seminar in HEcTh

==== Kress Notice, middlemarch'97

Kress seminar participants,

This year we have a truly "Spring" term seminar, with the first session
next Thursday, 20 March, 7:40-10 pm, Littauer M16 on the Harvard campus.
We feature a paper with two discussants (or so I hope, seeking one):

    Laurence Moss (Babson C)
        The Advent of the Mathematical Mind in the United States:
        Historical Problems Raised by the Edgeworth-Seligman Exchange

    Discussant: Robert Dorfman (Harvard U)
                and TBA

    Paper available from the author: e-mail <[log in to unmask]>

LAURENCE MOSS founded the Kress Seminar, Senior, in the late 1970s.  He
has been a regular participant throughout Junior's ten years and he chairs
the advisory committee today.  Larry's many papers include several
presented here, on 18c Brits such as Mandeville and Hume and 20c Austrians
such as Schumpeter and Hayek.  He cut his eye teeth in New York and often
confers East of the Rhein today, so it is fitting that he turn to E.R.A.
Seligman, the man who brought German-language economics to America via
Columbia University.  I rely on his description of the paper:       ----PW

In 1892, Edwin R.A. Seligman published __The Shifting and Incidence of
Taxation__, an interesting book which combined a masterly survey of
economic thinking about taxation with a logical-deductive account of how
various particular taxes affect market outcomes.
    Five years later, F.Y. Edgeworth published a series of three articles
on "The Pure Theory of Taxation" (__Economic Journal__ 1897) and revealed
one place in Seligman's book where the American economist had made an
erroneous deduction.  Seligman did not take kindly to this criticism and
found something about Edgeworth's mathematical methods to criticize also.
    My paper deals with both the details of the Seligman-Edgeworth debate
and the perceptions about mathematical method among at least Seligman's
generation of American economists.                                  ----LM

ROBERT DORFMAN (Economics, Harvard) is a microeconomist reknowned for his
work on mathematical theory and environmental policy.  His work on the
history of economics focuses on theories of capital and distribution,
especially among Bohm-Bawerk and his many rivals.  Thus he knows the late
19th century time period and transatlantic setting inhabited by Seligman
and Edgeworth --the "salad days" simultaneously of neoclassical theory,
professional economics, and lively international debate.            ----PW

SECOND DISCUSSANT ?  Contact me ASAP if you are interested.

Dinner
    Anyone interested in dinner and conversation before the seminar is
    invited to gather at the Singha House Thai restaurant (1105 Mass. Ave)
    at 6:00.  The food is great, matched only by the company.  The Singha
    House is prepared to handle late additions to a party (to about 6:30
    for dinner or 7:00 for appetizer or drink, given our time constraint).

I hope to see you Thursday,

                                    imagine my signature, P/\/\/\/t