From:
[log in to unmask] (Ross B. Emmett)
Date:
===================== HES POSTING ====================

I wonder if there is any interest among those who teach a one-semester
History of Economic Thought course to create a "team teaching" context for
the course on the internet.

Here is how the "team teaching" idea might work: a group of
professors with reasonably similar course syllabi for a one-semester
history of economic thought course would identify a common set of major
topics (perhaps one/two per week). A dedicated email list for their
classes would be created and the students would be encouraged or required
to discuss the topics with the other participants on the list (all
students registered in the classes involved, plus the profs). If the profs
wanted to coordinate common readings for the classes, the task of
directing student discussion of a particular reading could be assigned to
one of the profs involved -- the prof could "address" all the students
regarding the reading, and answer questions, etc. If a secondary reading
from a current scholar in the history of economics was used, we could set
up a short discussion with the author (possibly even a video hookup). The
courses would also have access to a common website with course syllabi,
bibliographies, and access to the archives of the email list discussion.

Eh.Net and the HES editorial team would coordinate the "team teaching"
effort, and provide technical assistance in setting up the email list,
creating the website, etc.

I figured we would try this first with a one-semester course before we
move to coordinating two-semester courses. But if more people are
interested in a two-semester course setup, I'd be willing to work with
that.

Ross
Ross B. Emmett                Editor, HES and CIRLA-L
Augustana University College
e-mail: [log in to unmask]