Date:
Wed, 5 Mar 1997 08:16:04 -0800
I have been silent for a while but usually pop my head up for tobacco
issues. I would be interested to hear our Quebec participant's
perspective on the recent debate on the Federal Bill C-71 restricting
tobacco advertising and sponsorship. Ridiculously, the Bloc turned a
youth protection issue into a "english Canada vs. french canada" issue
by saying the bill would affect Quebeckers negatively more than anyone
else.

I find it outrageous that a major political party such as the Bloc would
defend an industry that, while it brings a lot of money into the
province, targets it's inhabitants for death and disability more than
anyone else. Could they not see the sinister implications here? The
province of Quebec has lower per capita income and employment
percentage, and are thus susceptible to tobacco use (determinants of
health). Couldn't the Bloc see that they should protect their citizens
MORE THAN ANYONE ELSE, rather than defend evil? Just a thought. The more
I hear about the Blocs actions, the more unbelievable I find it that
anyone voted for them and would want them representing their interests
in democracy.

As a footnote, I hope many of you have done what you could to support
Bill C-71. There was a flurry of phone calls to the PM's office
yesterday. The hurdles aren't over yet, it still has to be voted in and
passed in the senate.

Thanks for your "ear" .

Alan McFarlane
Tobacco Use Prevention Promoter
Hamilton-Wentworth Regional Public Health Dept.

** the views expressed of the author do not necessarily reflect those of
the Regional Public Health Dept.