From:
[log in to unmask] (Jonathon E. Mote)
Date:
===================== HES POSTING =====================

The list has been unusually quiet regarding the most recent
editorial, so, against my better judgment, I'm going to put
forth some thoughts.  However, let me preface these
remarks by saying that the editorial reads more like a
hypotheses concerning a historical question.  Therefore,
rather than engage in a discussion on the specific topic of
the hypotheses, my thoughts focus on Mirowski's style as a
historian.

I remember first reading "More Heat Than Light" as an
undergraduate and getting goose bumps.  This was certainly
not Blaug, and it captured a range of historical experience in
a thoughtful and provocative way.  Concurrently, I was also
reading Ginzburg's "The Cheese and the Worms," at the
time a vanguard piece in social history, and saw a number
of parallels between the two works.  With Mirowski's
editorial, I am reminded again of the parallels between
Mirowski and Ginzburg.  Both are aggressive readers of the
historical record and look for discrepancies and gaps in
previous historian's accounts.  In much more eloquent
words, Dominick LaCapra's description of Ginzburg's work
could, with some modification, be used to described
Mirowski's editorial at hand:

'(the text is) reinforced by a structuralist methodology and a
reliance on a particular literary form: the detective story.
His narrative is itself strangely anecdotal and geometrical,
projectively empathetic and reductively analytic, extremely
fragmented and overly unified in theme and thesis.  The
object of his quest is obviously a deep structure, and his
notion of a privileged code, filter, or grid provides a
convenient reductive device.'

A modification to this description is that I do not view
Mirowski's work as critical as LaCapra does Ginzburg's.
In fact, I find his work a good counterbalance to the sterile
historical accounts we too often find in HET.  Mirowski
eschews the usual oversimplification of the distorted
interaction of scientific ideas between disciplines and among
heterodoxy and orthodoxy.  As a result, we get a much
more richly textured historical account of economics.

However, one important caveat is that this style can no
longer hide behind the Rankean defense of telling history
'as it was.'  The artifice of the author playing no role in the
telling of history crumbles.

This not necessarily a bad thing as long as the historian does
not continue to adhere to the rhetoric of Whiggish (or
Rankean or documentarian...et al) historians, presenting the
past 'as if' it told it told itself.  The flip-side is for the style
to devolve into a subjective relativism, useless for anything
but polemic.  These are some of the same issues that
contemporary historiography are dealing with, and I think
it's useful to keep this tension in mind with regard to Roy
Weintraub's call for better historical standards in HET.

Thanks for indulging me on a late Friday afternoon.  Have a
great weekend.