From:
[log in to unmask] (Paul Wendt (SAR))
Date:
=================== HES POSTING =======================

[EDITORIAL INSERTION: I have taken the liberty of adding to Paul's message
the text of the message Laura Linard sent me in response to my request for
info about the Kress Library for my mss. collections and archival
resources in the history of economic database and web site (still under
construction). I think there is a new willingness to make the Kress
accessible, which is wonderful. -- RBE]

from the Kress [Seminar] Newsletter, Halloween '96
----Paul Wendt

New Librarian oversees Kress Collection
---------------------------------------
Laura Linard is the new librarian overseeing the Kress Collection.  She
and I have agreed to meet sometime soon; then I will report back.

    Laura Linard
    Director of Historical Collections
    Baker Library, Harvard Business School
    Boston, MA  02163

    e-mail:         [log in to unmask]
    phone:          617.495.6360
    fax:            617.496.3811

*****************
Excerpts from an E-mail  -- Laura Linard to Ross Emmett:

The Kress Collection is a vital collection for the Historical Collections
Department; there continues to be new acquisitions and cataloging onto OCLC
and HOLLIS. There is a strong commitment to the collection on the part of
the Executive Director of Baker Library, Tom Michalak. The Kress Collection
is open for use with materials paged to the Historical Collections Reading
Room where Reference staff is available.

The URL for Baker Library, Harvard Business School is
http://library.hbs.edu. To get to Historical Collections, you need to go to
'General Information", to "Collections" then to "Historical Collections".
To get to the section on the Kress Collection directly the url is
http://library.hbs.edu.kress.htm. The site does include the address for
electronic reference assistance: [log in to unmask] There is also an
electronic reference form. . . .

--------------------------------

Name of the collection: The Kress Collection of Business and Economics
Nature of the collection: Rare books, pamphlets, broadsides, manuscripts,
and pictorial images that represent the foundations of economic philosophy
and business history

Archive:Historical Collections Department, Baker Library, Harvard Business
School Mailing address: Harvard Business School, Baker Library, Soldiers
Field, Boston, MA  02163

Catalogue available?: Yes.  The Kress Library of Business and Economics
Catalogue (4 volume set, supplement. V 1 & 2 out of print).

Catalogue searchable on-line?:  Yes.  Many Kress holdings are listed in the
Harvard on-line Catalog-HOLLIS.

Archivist:Laura Linard, Director of Historical Collections.

email address:[log in to unmask]

Archive hrs.: Monday - Friday,  9:00 AM - 5:00 PM.  The Historical
Collections Department is closed on University holidays. Out-of-town
visitors may wish to confirm operating hours in advance of a visit.

Accessibility: Photocopies can be made only from the Goldsmith-Kress
microfilm.

Notes:  Personal computers are allowed but scanners are forbidden.  A  2-3
day notice of your plans and of the materials you wish to use would be
appreciated.

Relevant Others:  The microfilm set, Goldsmith's-Kress Library of Economic
Literature, published in 1972 by Research Publications, includes some
40,000 pre-1851 titles from the Goldsmith's Library of  Economic Literature
at the University of London Library together with a substantial number of
titles from the Kress Library of Business and Economic Literature at
Harvard University. The microfilm series is held by many research libraries
in the U.S. and abroad.