From:
[log in to unmask] (Kevin Quinn)
Date:
====================== HES POSTING ==================

Ever since the discussion of Whig history I've been meaning to look for a
half-remembered quote from Don Herzog's *Happy Slaves*--a book that
manages to be political theory, social history and intellectual history
all at once--that pertains. I found a used copy of this great book
(subtitled "a critique of consent theory") in new orleans, so here it is.

"I tell this story not as a historian of ideas, but as a political
theorist interested in sorting out our own dilemmas. Some may find my
approach perplexing and may think it ignores three logical points about
political theory. The project mixes facts with values, the history of
political thought with our own political arguments, and the history of
ideas with social and political history...

"These three divisions....aren't purely logical. Like many other ideas,
they also serve as crude maps of what generally goes on in the world. For
it happens to be characteristic of American academic life these days that
some people study facts, others values; that historians of political
thought rarely talk shop with political theorists...; that sometimes
intellectual history, and often history of political thought, are still
carried on not just apart from but against social history. Each camp has
its own journals, its own panels at conventions, its own allotted slots
for departmental hiring... But it is a map of our lives, of our
community. So debates about these divisions are debates about the current
academic division of labor.

"it is a division I am unhappy with. Separating the study of facts from
the study of values was supposed to yield a social science worthy of the
name. But that project has been dead for some time... Separating the
history of political thought from our own political theory has threatened
to make one antiquarian, the other sterile. Separating the history of
political thought from the history of everything else has created a
pointless dilemmas..."

Sound familiar? It is interesting that Herzog argues for eliding *both* the
division between intellectual and social history *and* the division
between political theory and history of political thought; in our
discussion, it has seemed to me that the proponents of eliding the former
division have simultaneously called for underlining and strengthening
the latter.

Kevin Quinn