From:
[log in to unmask] (Ross B. Emmett)
Date:
==================== HES POSTING ======================

From: MATT HANNAH - GEOGRAPHY <[log in to unmask]> [Posted by Ross Emmett from H-AMSTDY. Please reply directly to Matt.]

Hello-

  I'm an historical geographer at the dep't. of geography, Univ. of
Vermont, and a new subscriber to the listserv.  I'm near the
beginning of an extended study of Francis A. Walker, the Gilded Age
political economist whose rich career involved work as a public
servant (director of the 1870 and 1880 U.S. Censuses, Commissioner
of Indian Affairs, among other things), educator (President of MIT
from 1881 to 1897), and proponent of social scientific "objectivity."
I'm hoping to draw on the collective experience of the subscribers to
this listserv in order to get a sense for just how many "discourses"
Walker became a part of.
  It's proven easy enough to find intellectual histories in which he
plays a significant role (e.g. histories of American social science,
histories of political economy).  But I've noticed that he also earns
a page or two, or perhaps just a paragraph, in an amazing array of
other histories (histories of aesthetics and other more "cultural"
retrospectives). My problem is that it's much harder to find these
briefer links... the few discoveries I've made have been
serendipitous.  If any of the subscribers to this list can remember
seeing Walker mentioned in one of these more obscure places, I'd
appreciate your taking a minute to send me a reference or two.
  Many thanks in advance.

Matthew G. Hannah
Dept. of Geography, UVM