From:
[log in to unmask] (Jonathon E. Mote)
Date:
====================== HES POSTING ===================

I would add an eighth area of concern about SSK, one which
is alluded to by Wade, as well as Greg Ransom ("begging
the question") and Kevin Quinn ("debunking the
debunkers").  But before I begin, let me state that this is not
necessarily a concern about the use of SSK, but rather about
those who might practice SSK.

It is my understanding that SSK primarily focuses on the
articulation and significance of meanings in scientific
practice.  In so doing, SSK relies on practices of scientific
explanation itself and therefore can be subject to the same
analysis.  As the veil of objectivity and value-freedom
covering scientific practice is slowly removed, SSK cannot
itself use this veil to authorize its analysis.  In this, SSK is truly
radical in that it makes more apparent the profound
reflexivity that lies at the heart of our scientific practices.

Therefore, the question I would pose to those who would
want to use SSK is: "if you want to criticize value-freedom in
scientific practice, are you willing to criticize it in your own
discourse?"  Please know that I don't pose the question to
dissuade the adoption of SSK, but rather to illustrate the
implications of using SSK.  The quote used by Wade from
Collins and Yearley is most apt here: "we are not in the
position to claim that SSK has 'touched bedrock'."  This
situation may cause a concern for some that there is no end
to interpretation in SSK.  Using Wittgenstein here may be a
bit out of place, but I find his famous question very
illuminating:  "What is left over if I subtract the fact that my
arm goes up from the fact that I raise my arm?"  Seemingly,
"something" is left over.  The arm may go up for a variety of
reasons--the wind, grabbed by someone, reflex....etc.  The
point is that in using SSK, we can't simply assume that the
analysis has reached some deeper level of truth.  As Wade
said, "deprivileging nature need not imply reprivileging
society."  However, to borrow a metaphor from McCloskey, I
believe that the use of SSK can enrich our conversation in
HET if used with integrity and honesty.

As an aside, I know that discourse analysis has waned in
SSK, but I was surprised at Collins and Yearley's claim that
"discourse analysis has been largely abandoned within
SSK."  Bruno Latour has certainly not abandoned discourse
analysis (for example, see Latour's "Pasteur on Lactic Acid
Yeast: A Partial Semiotic Analysis"), but I wonder if SSK has
abandoned Bruno Latour?  Perhaps that is a good SSK
question about SSK.

Jonathon E. Mote
The Pew Charitable Trusts