From:
Liz Rykert <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 26 Feb 1997 23:49:15 -0500
At 03:41 PM 2/26/97 -0500, Stirling, Alison wrote:
>Greetings,
>
>   Blake Poland sent a message regarding "America Works", an
>organization which I became familiar with in 1993 when I attended the
>International Healthy Communities conference in San Francisco.

>Subject: "Public Ends/Private Means" session at IHC conference
>Date: Tue, Dec 14, 1993 5:00PM

What we have here is  online tracking of the movements in public policy
regarding the income redistribution system and values - it is interesting to
note the ability of our colleague Alison - who  was able to capture that
report and reflect it back "for the record".

Healthy Public Policy is the theme of the next Canadian Public Health
Association conference. Understanding these types of developments, measuring
the health impacts of this type of policy and collecting and sharing the
outcome of that effort will become increasing important.

In Ontario we are still to see the type of welfare reform they have planned.
I understand it will be coming up in April. Of note at this point is the
downloading of income support programs on to municipal tax bases which will
not have the resources to sustain the fluctuating nature of financial
assistance.

Are groups in the US tracking the health impacts of welfare reform?

Liz Rykert