Date:
Tue, 11 Mar 1997 15:19:17 -0500
Jerry Channell wrote:

> A friend of mine said MT and Andrew Carnegie were good friends... Anyone
> know where I can find out more?

The first places to look are always _M.T. A-Z_, _The M.T.
Encyclopedia_, and in the index of any Twain biography.  The biographies
which I checked and both reference books had info on Carnegie.

For more in Twain's words, try _M.T. in Eruption_ and Paul Fatout's _M.T.
Speaking_.  (I knew to look there because of the remarks in _A-Z_.)

larry marshburne

My dear Mr. Carnegie,--I see by the papers that you are very prosperous.
I want to get a hymnbook.  It costs six shillings.  I will bless you, God
will bless you, and it will do a great deal of good.
Yours truly,
        Mark Twain
P.S.--Don't send me the hymnbook; send me the six shillings.
(_Eruption_,35)