From:
theresa schumilas <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 1 Jun 1997 22:57:52 -0400
I think we are en route to becoming a learning community - but its really
preliminary still.  There are some things, in my view we could improve at:

Its hard to get people to contribute it seems - when I hear how many of us
subscribe and yet see that only a few contribute - its just like the
experience of trying to facilitate a community meeting  when no one is
talking.  You have to use lots of techniques to draw people's points of view
- and you have to find the spark for the thing.  I think click4hp is still
looking for its spark.

We are a young community - we are still just getting a feel for the safety
and the tone and the climate.  I sense (and it surprises me that I honestly
get a "gut feeling" from an electronic medium - but I do) a certain
tentativeness in MOST of the postings.  Lots of pleases and thankyous, and
"forgive me ifs".  That tells me we are getting used to each other, and we
don't know our limits yet.

But the other thing I've noted, is that we have had a few "rallies" that
have struck me as rather direct and blunt.  Frankly - I like that - I have a
tendency in that direction myself.  BUT  I think the directness is more
appropriate in a situation where there is a group with equal participation
and where perceptions of power are more equal.  In a young community - or in
a group still getting to know each other - this direct style can limit the
interaction.  In other words, its the, "well I'm not going to speak out - if
thats how someone might respond to me" thing.  Frankly, many of us are
working "out here" in incredibly fragile and vulnerable states.  (Hope that
doesn't sound too "touchy".  But, being tender is oh so strong.)

That brings up the other thing I've learned through this vehicle - I have
the luxury of taking the time to be polished.  For example, I could cursor
back up and re-word what I just said.  I can't do that in literal community.
So, I wonder if that possibility actually ends up limiting participation.  I
know that I have prepared (on at least 3 occasions I recall) postings, then
fixed them up, then decided not to send them.  You can kind of loose
momentum or something, you get into something else, and when you come back
to this - the context has changed and your posting seems "old" news.  So, we
have to learn a different kind of timing for a virtual community.

As our community learns and develops, I hope it can develop a warmth - that
I don't sense right now.  I think, as professionals,  we falsely link
seriousness and competence together.  (So see jokes below - I guess that
could be taken as an indicator of my incompetence.)

One last issue, that I think limits participation is the membership itself.
Gee wiz, there are some pretty brilliant and influential readers out there!
This is a global "whos who" of health promotion.  My mentors and role models
are "listening" to everything I post.  The "whos who" is  pretty
intimidating to those of us still struggling with "whats what" and how they
get the caramel in the caramilk bar. (I bet theres a site directed to that.)

Anyway - I think the concept of a learning community is a rich one - I don't
think we are one yet - but we are en route so you should extinguish your
cigarette and fasten your seat belt.   I also think that the concept of
learning communities has a dimension to it that we've been missing in health
promotion so far.   Its not as straightforward as continually evolving our
practice. Because our "practice" isn't straightforward.  I think there is an
element of values clarification that occurs for members in a learning
community.  (I've always thought that working in health promotion has a lot
of similarities to being a jedi knight - which I am.)  I think its this
values piece that differentiates a learning community from some kind of a
study group.  One expects study groups to study - and learning communities
to develop.

So, now the jokes I promised....

How many health promoters does it take to change a lightbulb?

(I'll keep you in suspense.)

(May the force be with you.)

Theresa Schumilas
Director, Family and Community Resources
Waterloo Regional Community Health Department

phone:  (519) 883 2254
fax  :  (519) 883 2254
emails:  [log in to unmask] (preferred)