From:
[log in to unmask] (Jeffrey M Lipkes (HTY))
Date:
===================== HES POSTING ===================

1) I believe Philip Wicksteed wrote somewhere that the core premise of
marginal utility theory was aptly captured in an observation by one of his
children that "seconds aren't as good as firsts."  But where did he write
this?  I've looked in vain in what seemed to me the obvious places.
2)  Did Alfred Marshall ever explicitly say that he thought the concept of
consumer surplus offered the most promising applications of any doctrine
discussed in the Principles?  I suppose it would have been
uncharacteristic for him to go out on a limb like that, but I do
recall reading that somewhere.
I'd be extremely grateful if anyone could give me a citation for
either quote.  Thanks in advance.

Jeff Lipkes
Dept. of History
University of South Florida