From:
[log in to unmask] (Neil H. Buchanan)
Date:
===================== HES POSTING ====================

My name is Neil Buchanan, and I just joined this list today.  The list's
editors have provided me with "rules of conduct" for new members to follow,
which include the suggestion that I introduce myself in my first message.

My research is primarily in empirical macroeconomics, but I also have
graduate training and continuing strong interests in the history of
economic thought and political economy. I am currently a visiting professor
in the Department of Economics at Barnard College.  I have recently
accepted a position at the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee, half-time in
the Economics Department and half-time as the director of a new research
institute called the Center for Macroeconomic Policy.  I have already begun
preliminary work in the latter capacity, as part of which I posted a query
about articles bemoaning "the sorry state of economics" to two other
discussion lists.

I am very greatful to Mary Schweitzer for cross-posting my request to this
list; and I would like to thank the many members of HES who have privately
sent suggestions pursuant to my request.  There have been so many responses
that it would be impractical for me to thank you all individually.  You
have helped me enormously.

I should also say that I would not normally post to a list on the first day
that I signed up.  The custom of waiting thirty days, to get a sense of how
the members of the list interact, seems to me to be a very sensible rule of
thumb.  However, given the unique way in which my posting arrived here, and
given the spate of responses it has evoked, I have been encouraged by
several members to jump right in.  (If I have missed some of the discussion
and inadvertently repeat arguments offered by others, I apologize.)

My overall impression of the responses is that my request was generally
accepted in the spirit in which it was intended.  It really was a simple
request for information, after all.  However, a minority of the respondents
have taken me to task for even thinking that such articles might be worth
collecting.

I guess it never occurred to anyone that I might have been collecting these
articles in order to debunk them.  The assumption--correct, as it turns
out--was that I was a critic; and I, therefore, had to be put in my place.
One person admonished me off-list, saying that "I don't really see what the
point is of collecting a list of papers which complain.  Let's get down to
doing economics and doing it better". I find this level of
hyper-sensitivity revealing.

Chas Anderson responded on this list with a argument that is stunningly
unvarnished: "Would you mind naming some 'of the most prominent
mainstream economists' who are bemoaning the current state of economics? I
find that individuals who write these types of works are usually those who
have unsuccessfully struggled with the discipline and have turned to
non-rigorous approaches to economics, such as offered by political or
socio-economic tracts."

So there we have argument #1: Those Who Complain About Economics Are
Non-Rigorous _Social_ Scientists, i.e., Math Wimps.  If I had tried to
imagine the most bald-faced form of this argument, I could never have come
up with anything so lacking in subtlety as this.  It is also entirely
uninformed, since some of the people who have written the most critical of
these articles are the very people who mathematized the discipline:
Samuelson, Leontief, Solow, just to name three Math Studs.

On this list, Tony Brewer wrote the following:

"Lists of people who have complained about the state of the subject seem
to me to be of limited interest in themselves.

"1. We all have a grouse from time to time don't we? Neil Buchanan's
original post remarked that it was particularly economists over the age
of 60 who were prone to complain. Don't you find that (some) older
people in all walks of life complain that things aren't what they used
to be? It is when the young people are dissatisfied that you need to
worry."

This is Argument #2, It's Really Just a Bunch of Old Complainers, So We Can
Safely Ignore Them (just as we ignore old people in general).  This is
simply the invocation of a stereotype about older people, used as an _ad
hominem_ attack to undermine their credibility as intellectual beings,
What strikes me about this argument, though, is that one suspects that the
argument could just as easily be reversed.  Imagine that the complaints
were coming from younger writers.  The reponse becomes: "Don't you find
that (some) younger people in all walks of life complain about things that
they do not yet fully understand?  It is when the older people are
dissatisfied that you need to worry."  In other words, it is always
possible to use innuendo to discredit the messenger.

Brewer goes on to ask: "2. Isn't a good researcher perennially dissatisfied
with the existing state of knowledge? That is the motive to try to improve
it. What are these people dissatisfied about? Are they all saying the same
thing?"

I couldn't agree more.  This is one of the best reasons to collect these
articles and analyze them; to see if they are all saying something
similar--or not.

"Is it 'not enough people are working in my field and citing my papers'?"

Based on the papers of this genre that I've seen, the answer is no (not
likely from Leontief, for example); but, again, that's what this research
project is about.

"3. Such grouses need a date and a context attached. We are historians,
aren't we? My memory says that in the 1970s there was quite a
widespread feeling that there was something wrong, but that it has
declined sharply. In the 1970s people were complaining about general
equilibrium (GE) theory, then seen as the pinnacle of the subject. Now,
no one cares about GE theory one way or the other - the action is
elsewhere. Is the incidence of complaining rising or falling? How does
it compare with other fields?"

I don't particularly agree with the example about GE, but again, good
point.  The "grouses" do live in their own times.  Some of the articles
that have been suggested to me come from well before the 1970's.  I can't
wait to take a look at them.  I'll bet they reflect their times in
revealing ways.

Hence, Brewer's second and third points, while stated with clear hostility,
are basically constructive and not arguments against grousing at all.

Finally, Robin Foliet Neill offers this argument:

"Neoclassical Economics has its limits.  As an explanation of the evolution
of economies it fails badly.  Still, when it comes to designing policies to
meet specifit problems, some strategic suspension of disbelief is in order.
If we admit to the existence of a Heraclitean flux, we are doomed to
paralysis.  To take rational action at some point we have to make a
proposal 'as if' certain ceteris paribus condition held, 'as if' there were
certain known principles governing human motivation. For this reason there
are economists who bemoan the inablity of Neoclassical Economics to
represent reality, while, at the same time, they proceed with the use of
that theory to make policy proposals.   Brewer has a point.  One has to
look at the nature of the criticism, not just the fact that there is
criticism, before listing the critic among those who disparage Neoclassical
theory."

Again, I'm truly surprised by the immediate assumption that I am planning
to "list the critic among those who disagree with Neoclassical theory."  Go
back and read my original post, please.  I say that not as a (disingenuous)
claim that I don't have my own ideas about this subject, but simply to
point out how quickly some people leapt to conclusions, based on a very
short and simple posting.

Still, Neill's post includes an argument, which is Argument #3,
Neoclassical Economics May Not Be Perfect, But We All End Up Using It In
Practice.  I'd say that we all end up using some inelegant agglomeration of
theories when confronted with a policy question; but why assume that we end
up using a crude form of neoclassical theory?  By my observation, at the
macro policy level, most people are more Keynesian than neoclassical.  But
if I'm wrong, how is this an argument against people critiquing the current
trends in economics?

Finally, what does this argument mean in practice?  To take a fairly recent
political controversy, how does one use seat-of-the-pants neoclassicism to
evaluate the proposal to eliminate the mortgage interest deduction as part
of the Flat Tax?  The National Association of Realtors (those Marxists!!)
used the simple neoclassical notion that eliminating a tax advantage would
raise the effective price of a good and thus depress demand and lower the
equilibrium price.  Hall and Rabushka (the most prominent academic
proponents of the Flat Tax) claimed that several general equilibrium
effects would end up canceling each other out, so that the housing market
would be unaffected.  Both used some type of neoclassical theory to defend
policy positions.  What does that prove?

This is, as ever, a fascinating discussion.  It is not surprising to see
the old insults rolled out against the critics of the mainstream.  What is
surprising is the immediate reaction against even a consideration of those
criticisms.

[I apologize for the length of this post.  This is not my habit.  I promise
to limit myself to more manageable lengths in the future.]

Respectfully,
Neil

Neil H. Buchanan
Director, Center for Macroeconomic Policy
Department of Economics
University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee
Milwaukee, Wisconsin 53201

For Fall semester, 1997:

Department of Economics      ||   (914) 876-8575 home
Barnard College              ||
3009 Broadway                ||   (212) 854-5005 office
New York, New York 10027     ||   (212) 854-8947 fax