From:
[log in to unmask] (Aiko IKEO)
Date:
====================== HES POSTING ==================

[NOTE: This message was originally sent to the list in August, but got
lost somehow (we haven't exactly figured out why!). -- RBE and Aiko Ikeo]

I happened to find the word 'incentive' in the title of a section in the
United Nation's _Manual on Economic Development Projects_, New York, 1958.
The book came out later than Hobson's 'Incentives in the New Social Order'
(1922) and the word seems to appear once in the 248 page book, though.

Part one    The subject of a project
Capter II   Study of the market
Case 10     The development of the motor vehicle industry in Brasil
      1.    The policy of incentive
(page 47)

Acturally Brasil took a strong protectionist policy to deliver a 'un-born
baby' industry.  The Export and Import Department restricted the issue of
import licences for the purchase of mortor vehicle parts to those that could
not be manufactured domestically.  I will pick up the phrases relating to
'the policy of incentive'.

'the Government policy which was adopted to encourage private industry to
develop this branch of production and its successful implementation'.

'The ... measures to stimulate production of motor vehicles'

'a[n] effective safeguard and powerful stimulus was thereby created for
domestic manufacturers.'

I do not know much about UN's development programs of the day.  I picked
this book up in the library when I looked for the literature relating to
Japan's central planning for development during the 1950s and 1960s.

Aiko Ikeo
Department of Economics, Kokugakuin University