From:
[log in to unmask] (Michael L. Robison)
Date:
==================== HES POSTING ===================

I was inclined to agree with Mr. Perelman, however, when I looked, Smith
does pair utility with value in use, at the end of book I, Ch. 4,
leading into the water and diamonds story.  It seems clear to me that
this is an intentionally limited definition of utility.  Money, for
example, has very limited "value in use" if one excludes exchange as a
use.  As Smith no doubt understood, it does not follow that money has
limited utility, except if one limits the meaning of utility.

The discussion of "value in use" VS "value in exchange" is particularly
interesting to me since until recently, I worked in real estate
appraisal, where the two concepts are distinct, although related and
sometimes confused.  Value in use is directly related to, although not
necessarily equivalent to, production cost.  In an ideal situation, this
applies also to value in exchange.  Numerous examples of the contrary
situation exist however. In real estate, for example, a highly
specialized building may fully justify its cost only to one party.

To me, the interesting case with regard to Smith is with the "Labor
theory of value" in relation to the above types of value.  From my
reading of Smith, labor is the ultimate measure of value, rather than
source.  The beginning of Bk. I Chapter V, is my most prominent source,
but the theme exists elsewhere.

Mike Robison
Michigan State University
http://www.msu.edu/user/robiso12/index.htm