From:
[log in to unmask] (Ross B. Emmett)
Date:
======================= HES POSTING ==================

[NOTE: Posted on behalf of Antoin Murphy. -- RBE]

I have an eighteenth century manuscript in a bound volume with the ex
libris of the eighteenth century philosopher and economist, Andre
Morellet. The manuscript has the title The Elements of Commerce Delineated
in Aphorisms. I believe that I can prove that it was written by Joseph
Massie (author of The Natural Rate of Interest) and it appears to me that
it was written by him between the late 1750s and early 1760s. The author
[Massie] uses the term utility five times in this manuscript. Here are
some citations from it:

"The natural value of a commodity is its utility as a necessary or
convenience of life."

"The natural value of a commodity for use or consumption, being founded
upon its natural utility, must be invariable, because that is so, but the
natural value of anything for production, being founded upon its fertility,
must be liable to vary, as that is subject to change."

"From hence we may observe, that if gold and silver were not more durable
than the necessaries and conveniencies of life, it would be better to make
provision for futurity, in the latter than the former, for money is no
otherwise valuable, then as it is the means of furnishing us with what we
want or desire, nor is an equal quantity of it always of the same value to
those who are possessed of it; where as corn, or any other necessary or
convenience of life is valuable in itself, and equally so at all times, to
those who are possessed of it; without regard to the quantities which other
people may have; for there being more or less corn in a nation, can neither
diminish nor add to the natural value of a bushel of wheat, because it can
neither take from, nor add to its utility in supporting life."

"The security of trade depends partly upon the utility of the commodities
vended in it and partly upon other nations being able or unable to furnish
the like commodities or such as will answer the same purpose..."

   I have not seen an earlier use of the term utility in an economics
context by an English writer. Massie did not understand the concept of
diminishing marginal utility but his introduction of the term utility into
value theory is striking. The Elements of Commerce Delineated in Aphorisms
has some sophisticated economic theorising for an eighteenth century
writer. I hope to publish it over the next year.

Antoin E. Murphy (Dept. of Economics, Trinity College Dublin).