From:
[log in to unmask] (Michael L. Robison)
Date:
=================== HES POSTING ====================

Some of the posts on this topic have treated the failure to hire
economists from a certain "school" or perspective as a form of
censorship.  While this is in some ways understandable, it is also
awkward.  I shall use a hypothetical example to make my point.

I am studying History of Economic Thought and Macroeconomics.  If I
complete my Ph. D. and seek positions, with the work of R. Cantillion as
my total focus as a macroeconomist, I most likely would have a difficult
time getting a position.  Why- because those persons doing the hiring
would find my position to have no merit, or, following the reasoning
discussed above, they wished to "censor" that particular view of the
economy.

The point, of course is not that Cantillion should be taught in a modern
macro course, but rather that some of the economists who are "censored"
had views which are more or less similarly unacceptable to those doing
the hiring.  This is, to me, an entirely different concept than say,
governmental sanctions for unacceptable ideas.

Mike Robison
Math and Economics graduate student
Michigan State University
email [log in to unmask] or [log in to unmask]
http://www.msu.edu/user/robiso12/index.htm