From:
[log in to unmask] (Ana Maria A. F. Bianchi)
Date:
====================== HES POSTING ====================

Censorship of economic writers:

During the period of  military dictatorships in Latin America, we did
have episodes of censorship which involved economists, among other
intellectuals. A.W.Coats talks about that in a paper.

Coats also mentions the well known fact (at least for us Latin Americans)
that to counterbalance the 'leftist' influence in our universities, the
AID sent to Latin America a few economists with a conservative
(neoclassical?) outlook during the 1960s and 1970. These economists were
very influent in Chile, at the Catholic University, and in Brazil, at
Fundacao Getulio Vargas and Universidade de Sao Paulo.

Meanwhile, Brazilian economists such as Celso Furtado, identified with
the so-called 'Prebisch-Singer thesis' or 'Latin American school' were
sent to exile by the military government.

Ana Maria Bianchi
Universidade de Sao Paulo