From:
[log in to unmask] (C.N.Gomersall)
Date:
======================= HES POSTING =================

A comment made in passing by A.J.P.Taylor in "The Trouble Makers" struck me
as having wider implications for the understanding of economic language:

"It is a mistake to suppose that Cobden relied on materialistic arguments,
as Palmerston for instance asserted that if an enemy landed on these shores
Cobden and Bright would make a calculation as to whether it would be
cheaper to take him in or keep him out. Cobden certainly used the argument
that war was expensive; and so it is. But the appeal to economics was part
of the stock-in-trade of the time. Palmerston claimed to be promoting the
interests of British trade. Even Kossuth appealed to commercial advantage
when he preached a crusade against Russia in 1851. Essentially Cobden
appealed to reason, not to material advantage." (page 56)

I'm writing to HES for elaboration, or refutation, of the idea that "the
appeal to economics was part of the stock-in-trade of the time" (for
non-economic issues such as national independence, that is; obviously the
language of economics would be used for more narrowly defined issues of
trade, investment and so on).

Perhaps I should say a word or two as to why I am making this request. I'm
interested in the idea that arguments on explicitly political matters were,
says Taylor, habitually expressed in economic language. After all:

i)  Some today are critical of putting policy choices in the language of,
say, cost-benefit analysis. If Taylor's remarks are correct, though, might
we not use contingent valuation (for example) simply as part of our
"stock-in-trade"--safely use CBA as a metaphor, in other words, without
implying that policy questions are reducible to economics?

ii) (More tentatively) If Taylor is right that the debates in which Cobden,
Kossuth and others engaged could be held using economic language whilst
retaining their political character, why should we be concerned if economic
questions today are dressed up in the language of, well, physics or
biology?

Comments, suggestions, references--all would be most welcome.

C.N.Gomersall                         [log in to unmask]

http://econ-www.newcastle.edu.au/economics/nick/nick.html