Date:
======================= HES POSTING =================

>i)  Some today are critical of putting policy choices in the language of,
>say, cost-benefit analysis. If Taylor's remarks are correct, though, might
>we not use contingent valuation (for example) simply as part of our
>"stock-in-trade"--safely use CBA as a metaphor, in other words, without
>implying that policy questions are reducible to economics?

I wish to react to the claim that "some today are critical of putting
policy
choices in the language of ...cost-benefit analysis."   Doesn't it depend
on
what the choice that has to be made is actually about.  For example
distinguish two cases.  Case A, a girl falls down a ditch and is having
trouble breathing.  The public watches the event and its aftermath on TV.
suspect that anyone who proposes a cost-benefit analysis of whether or not
save her or let her die would be stoned out of the community.  Here most of
the public and most economists (??) would find c/b analysis some offensive.

When, however, the issue is whether to lower a permissible standard
affecting
the outpouring of a toxic emission, then the extra benefits and the extra
costs should be calculated.  Let us call this case B.  I do not think
thatthe
application of c/b in this context of saving statistical lives would raise
howls of protest.

Is this difference something that has a moral or ethical basis?  Is this
distinction one that should inform our understanding of economic debates?

L. Moss
Babson College