From:
[log in to unmask] (andrew kliman)
Date:
======================= HES POSTING =================

The discussion of "the neoclassical position" concerning self-interest
raises
what is, for me at least, an interesting problem:  What makes a position
(theory, model, etc.) neoclassical?

Given that, on this issue and many others, theorists who could be
identified
as neoclassical in fact hold different positions, it seems to me that the
attempt to define neoclassicism as the writings of particular "canonical"
authors runs into problems.  So the question becomes whether there is
indeed
anything that can be called "neoclassicism."  And, if so, is its unity to
be
found through a search for a "lowest common denominator" that allows us to
group a set of theorists together?  Or is it to be found through a
sociological examination of how a neoclassical community constitutes itself
(a
la Kuhn)?  Or is it to be found through an examination of how the
neoclassical
idea constitutes itself through the acceptance of certain conceptual
innovations as compatible with the theory and the rejection of others, and
through analysis of the reasons why.  (This last approach, it seems to me,
is
taken by Philip Mirowski, for instance.)

I have been thinking about such questions also in relation to "Marxian
economics."  The key dichotomies in both cases, it seems to me, are (a)
whether the object is understood to be constituted by the individuals who
define themselves in terms of it, or by a unifying set of ideas and (b)
whether the definitions are meant to be (for lack of better words)
descriptive
or prescriptive.

I'd be very interested in others' thoughts on these matters.