From:
[log in to unmask] (Michael Williams)
Date:
===================== HES POSTING ======================

Andrew Kliman wrote:
> The discussion of "the neoclassical position" concerning self-interest
raises
> what is, for me at least, an interesting problem:  What makes a position
> (theory, model, etc.) neoclassical?

And then went onto speculate about various possibilities for
circumscribing Neo-Classical economics.

I can see the usefulness for HES of a discussion of the taxonomic
details of what constitutes, historically and now, 'neo-classical'
economics in contrast to 'Austrian' economics, '(post-)Keynesian'
economics, etc..

But what concerns me more now is the disingenuous implicit  denial of
of any discernible core of economic orthodoxy, that is almost made
explicit in, for example, Anthony Brewer's response to Andrew's post.
The reason that this is of concern is because of the (no doubt
entirely unintended ...) efficacy of this disappearing trick for
gate-keeping purposes. If any general (say philosophical or
methodological) critique of orthodoxy is mounted that is *not*
explicit about its object, then it can be dismissed on that account.
And any such critique that does attempt a general taxonomic
description can be slighted on the basis that is has inaccurately
identified the core tenets of orthodoxy - or that no such core
exists. It is this latter, I would speculate, that accounts in part
for the inadequate engagement of orthodox economics (come on out, you
know who you are!) and economic methodology with Daniel Hausman's
(1992) *The Inexact and Separate Science of Economics*.

In Part I of this book, as I am sure most subscribers to this list
will know, Hausman identifies Rational Choice Theory + Partial
(Marshallian) and General Equilibrium modelling as the core of
orthodoxy.  Now this is not perfect, and may (now that Macroeconomic
orthodoxy has shifted somewhat from its insistence on
'choice-theoretic' foundations) have a slight microeconomic bias.
Nevertheless, it captures a large chunk of the shared baggage that is
stored in the left-luggage lockers of current mainstream economics
textbooks, at every level. In particular, however useful and
interesting in their own right, developments such as the recovery of
game theory, and its application to Industrial Organization, contract
theory, principal-agent models etc. etc., do not transcend, but
rather rest on, the conceptualisations and techniques of this core.
There is some genuine disequilibrium macrodynamics about, but it is
definitely *not* part of the orthodoxy. Of course there is also a fair
bit of joyous. self-proclaimed 'measurement without theory', but that
is, thereby (!) not in the *theoretical* core (although as often as
not its emancipation from theoretical concepts is, anyway, only skin
deep).

So what do I want? Well only that well-founded general criticisms of
economic orthodoxy - whether mounted from one of the great
heterodoxies (Austrian, post-Keynesian or Marxist perspectives) or
from History or Philosophy - be engaged with. This would require that
any assertion that, whilst they may apply (have applied?) to some now
superseded historical core, they did not hit home against, say, Game
Theory-IO, be backed up by argument and evidence that this proclaimed
saviour is not dependent on the allegedly obsolescent orthodox core.

I have met so many bright and motivated students who felt that they
were repeatedly required to 'pay their dues' again and again by not
only mastering, but actually doing original work at the
ever-expanding technical frontier of orthodox economic modelling,
before being allowed to 'play the blues' and get down to serious
theoretical criticism of orthodoxy. Too often the result is that they
either quit economics in favour of another social science, or perhaps
philosophy, or they put aside the critical enthusiams of their
'youth' and immerse themselves in orthodoxy's 'normal' science.
Neither of these consequences can be good for the health of the
discipline, I would suggest.

Michael Williams
Department of Economics, School of Social Sciences
De Montfort University
http://www.mk.dmu.ac.uk/~mwilliam