From:
[log in to unmask] (C.N.Gomersall)
Date:
==================  HES POSTING  ======================

I'd appreciate being given references for the early use of "real" and
"nominal" in economics. I'm less concerned here with their meanings today,
contentious as they may be for some, but with the introduction of these
terms into economics and early instances of their use.

This is my first post to HES, and I hope its members will excuse what may
be a naive question. My PhD was in resource economics but, as an
undergraduate, I had fled economics (PPE, actually) to study Old Norse. My
interests, therefore, are a little hard to categorise; right now, I teach
macro and public finance at a four-year college.

I became interested in the history of these terms when considering how, in
general philosophy, such terms as "realism" and "nominalism" have altered
their meanings greatly over the years, even to the point of exchanging
places. I wondered just when economics had adopted these the terms, and in
what context. I'm sorry if this is all too well known to historians of
economics.

Thank you.

C.N.Gomersall                         [log in to unmask]

http://econ-www.newcastle.edu.au/economics/nick/nick.html