From:
[log in to unmask] (GREG RANSOM)
Date:
=================== HES POSTING =====================

Fatigue and the tricks of mind have somehow allowed me to attribute
the seminar of Karl Menger, the son of Carl Menger, to Richard Mises,
the brother of Ludwig Mises.  Richard Mises was involved in the
cirlce of mathematicians, logicians, and positivists who participated
in the discussion circles of Menger and Schlick, but as far as I
can recall, Mises did not conduct a private seminar of his own (if he
did this is something I'd like to find out about).

The interanimation of these communities and the economics community
is helpfully (but sketchily) discussed in F. Hayek, _Hayek on Hayek_,
Chicago:  U. of Chicago Press, and B. Ingrao and G. Israel, _The
Invisible Hand_, Cambridge:  MIT Press.  Felix Kaufmann, for example,
participated in the Hayek-Furth circle, the Mises circle, and the
Schlick circle, and studied with Husserl.  Neurath partipate in the
Schlick circle, but as schooled in the work of Weber, who's work in large
measure reflects the influence of Carl Menger and Bohm-Bawerk.  Schutz
participated in the Hayek-Furth seminar and the Mises seminar, studied with
Husserl, and was schooled in the work of Weber.  Morgenstern participated
in the Hayek-Furth seminar, the Mises seminar, co-taught with Hayek at
the U. of Vienna, and worked with the mathematician and physicist von
Neumann.  Kauffman also was conversant in the new physics.  Hayek himself
was schooled in the work of Schlick, Mach, Wittgenstein, and the new
work of folks like Carnap, Neurath, and Russell.  Morgenstern presented
his ideas to the K. Menger seminar.  K. Menger himself published in
the fields of ethics and philosophy.  Richard Mises own work was a blend
of cutting edge mathematics and cutting edge philosophy.

Greg Ransom
Dept. of Philosophy
UC-Riverside
http://members.gnn.com/logosapien/ransom.htm