From:
[log in to unmask] (C.N.Gomersall)
Date:

Ron Stanfield wrote:

>That actors will create disturbances in order to profit from interstitial
>maladjustment is a central theme of Veblen's THEORY OF BUSINESS
>ENTERPRISE and of his sabotage argument generally.

Also Alasdair MacIntyre, "After Virtue", has this as one of his sources of
systematic unpredictability, e.g., "... it is a major interest of each
actor to maximize the imperfection of the information of certain other
actors at the same time as he improves his own." (p.97)

MacIntyre then adds a new twist: "Moreover a condition of success at
misinforming other actors is likely to be the successful production of
false impressions in external observers too. This leads to an interesting
inversion of Collingwood's odd thesis that we can only hope to understand
the actions of the victorious and the successful, while those of the
defeated must remain opaque to us. But if I am right the conditions of
success include the ability to deceive successfully and hence it is the
defeated whom we are more likely to be able to understand and it is those
who are going to be defeated whose behavior we are more likely to be able
to predict." (pp.96-97)

C.N.Gomersall
Luther College