From:
Ferran Romeu <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 1 Mar 1998 04:11:59 PST
Dear list members,
I am a student of English Literature at Universtitat Rovira i Virgili
(www.urv.es ), Tarragona, Spain.

I am currently developing an MA thesis on the reception of Huckleberry
Finn, with an especial focus on the periods 1885-1900 and 1960-1990s.

I consider the issue of interracial friendship as one of the reasons to
praise or to attack the book. This is clearly evident in the
contemporary debate about Twain's masterpiece, but it does not seem to
be an important issue for the 19th-century reviewers of the book.
Nowadays people question interracial friendship for being too weak.
However, the 19th-century audience may have criticised interracial
friendship as scandalous and inappropriate.

Is there any 19th-century document dealing with this issue ?

Thanks a lot,

Ferran Romeu