CANCHID Archives

Canadian Network on Health in Development

CANCHID@YORKU.CA

From:
Sam Lanfranco <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Canadian Network on Health in International Development <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 14 Feb 1998 09:44:19 -0500
E. COST BENEFIT IMPACT OF SCHOOL BASED SMOKING PREVENTION
Wed. Jan 14, 1998 Doug McCall posted to CLICK4HP list:

Further to the Discussion of Cost-Benefit in Health Promotion

We are publishing a cost-benefit analysis of the impact of school-based
smoking prevention program that shows one dollar invested saves 15
dollars in health care and other costs. The study was led by Tom
Stephens and Murray Kaiserman at Health Canada. It will be available for
distribution after it appears in the Amer Journal of Public Health.

We used a similar CDC study in meetings with Preston Manning's office,
They were very interested and requested follow-up information several
times after our meeting.

We also have a few disparate studies of the benefits of school-based
prevention that are primarily American.

To request copies, contact me by email or phone at:

Doug McCall [[log in to unmask]]
Canadian Association for School Health
(604) 535-7664