From:
Scott Holmes <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 18 Jun 2024 12:41:26 -0700
I have been adding the Day By Day indices to Twain’s Geography and have
come across what looks like a problem. The entry for March 10, 1881 has
Sam speaking at the “African Church”. In parenthesis is (A.M.E. Zion
Church, Pearl St., Hfd.). The Wikipedia article for this church states
that it “has since 1926 been the home to the city's oldest
African-American congregation,”. This is much later than 1881. Digging
around I found that there was another church in Hartford that looks more
likely to me, the Talcott Street Congregational Church. I would
appreciate any information on this. I mapped the Zion Church but I don’t
feel comfortable about it.

--
/*Unaffiliated Geographer and Twain aficionado*/

Visit B. Scott Holmes <https://bscottholmes.com>
Twain's Geography <https://twainsgeography.com>