Date:
Fri, 28 Aug 1998 15:57:26 +0200
The 11th National Health Promotion Conference
>Hyatt Regency Hotel
>Perth
>May 23-26 1999
>
>Planning is well underway for the next national Health Promotion
Conference. The Conference, on the theme "Building Social Capital for the
21st Century", will offer something for everyone. Conference Convenor,
Trevor Shilton said, "We have a broad and talented committee working hard to
ensure that the conference will provide a rich program for delegates
regardless of whether they come from research, management, leadership or
practitioner backgrounds."

>The theme will be elaborated by sub-themes of equity, environment, economy,
empowerment, partnerships and leadership. In addition, the topics nutrition,
physical activity, Aboriginal health, sexual health, drug issues, injury
prevention, tobacco control, rural health and cancer prevention will be
included.

>The program will feature a mix of plenary sessions, invited speakers,
parallel sessions, special issue panels and workshops. A strand on
"leadership in health promotion" is planned.

>We plan to make the poster sessions as interactive as possible by combining
them with an extended afternoon tea.

>Key notes
>
>Three international keynote presenters have accepted invitations to attend
the conference:

>Marshall Kreuter, from the CDC in Atlanta will discuss definitions of
social capital and the practical and political implications for health
promoters.

>Sally Macintyre, from Glasgow, Scotland will discuss social capital from
the perspective of equity and disadvantaged groups.

>Ron Labonte from Canada will present a plenary and a workshop.
>
>In addition, up to ten further key presenters from Australia and overseas
will be invited to add depth and strength to the program.

>A registration form and Call for Abstracts will be distributed with the
next newsletter. Get your thinking caps on for your abstract, send it in and
put Perth in your diary. We'd love to see you May 23-26 1999.

>To register interest for further information, fax (08) 9257 2099 or e-mail

Anne W. Bunde-Birouste
IUHPE Director of Programmes
tel : 33.1.46.45.00.59
fax : 33.1.46.45.00.45