AAOLIST Archives

AAOLIST@YORKU.CA

From:
Loryl MacDonald <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Loryl MacDonald <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 3 Feb 2003 16:47:44 -0500
The Archives Association of Ontario is saddened to hear of the passing of Kent Haworth. Kent passed away at home on Friday, Jan 31st 2003.

In June 2002, the Archives Association of Ontario awarded Kent the James J. Talman Award for individuals who demonstrate an outstanding level of imagination in contributions to the archival community. We honoured ourselves as we honoured Kent; I remind you of Lutzen Riedstra's comments on Kent's achievements:

“Kent began his career at the Provincial Archives British Columbia in 1972 where he was head of the special media collections and then head of the records management branch. In the 1980's, Kent became University Archivist at the University of Toronto Archives and then head of government records at the Public Archives of Nova Scotia. Most recently, Kent has been University Archivist at York University Archives and Special Collections.

Kent also contributed to the archival field through various positions with the Association of Canadian Archivists and the Bureau of Canadian Archivists. He served as ACA Vice-President during the Applebaum-Hebert Commission on cultural policy in Canada and as ACA President during the creation of the Canadian Council of Archives.

Kent was a driving force in the development and promotion of the use of the Rules for Archival Description. He was chair of the BCA's Planning Committee on Descriptive Standards from 1989 to 1996 when the committee met six times a year, had 10 working groups, published six publications, and started RAD courses across Canada (often with Kent as the instructor). As a result of Kent's tireless work, Canada is a leader in archival descriptive standards and a model for the
International Council of Archives.

Kent joined the Board of the Archives Association of Ontario in 1997 as head of the Communications Committee. He later served as head of the Institutional Development Committee and the Membership Committee. Kent also worked on the development of an inter-institutional on-line database, ARCHEION, Ontario's contribution to the Canadian Archival Information Network and served as first Chair of the ARCHEION committee.”

In honour of his tremendous contributions and dedication to the archival community, Kent most recently received the first ACA Membership Recognition Award in May 2002 and the AAO James J. Talman Award in June 2002.

Kent enriched archival practice in Canada and the world. He also inspired countless archivists in our profession. We were fortunate to have him as one of our own. We will miss him greatly.

Loryl MacDonald
President
Loryl MacDonald, Records Archivist
University of Toronto Archives
and Records Management Services
120 St. George St, Toronto, Ontario, M5S 1A5
(416) 978-7657
www.library.utoronto.ca/utarms