From:
Vern Crisler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 13 Oct 1998 17:18:29 -0700
At 02:40 AM 10/12/98 EDT, Dennis Kelly wrote:
>The recent news articles about the FBI files on Groucho Marx make me wonder
>what the country would have thought of Twain if he were still inveighing
>against all things unjust in the early 50's.
>
>Makes it easy to recognize Marx as a natural recipient of a Twain award.
>
>Dennis Kelly

Interesting suggestion, about Groucho.

But perhaps we need some clarificaton.  What is the purpose of the Mark
Twain prize?  Is it for stand-up comedy?  Literary comedy?  A combination of
both?

Which one of the comics who were nominated, or who have been suggested as
possible future recipients, ever wrote anything of any literary significance?

And if it's just for stand-up comedy, why weren't notables such as Bob Hope,
Jack Benny, et al. chosen?  Or Bill Cosby?

I was puzzled by the choice that was actually made, but perhaps I don't
understand the purpose of the award.

Cordially,

Vern Crisler
www.geocities.com/athens/6208