AAOLIST Archives

AAOLIST@YORKU.CA

From:
bryan parnell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 21 Jun 2000 09:22:24 EDT
Hello,

I have just started an 8-week contract as an archives technician with
Lakefield College School and have been asked to do some research into the
possibility of switching database software. We are using MS Access 97, but
we are thinking of switching to InMagic DB/Textworks 4.0.

I have several questions about this process. Has anybody out there switched
from Access to DB/Text? Was it a difficult project? Is MS Access widely used
in the field of archives? Is it a worthwhile project to switch from MS
Access to DB/Text? Finally, roughly how long should it take to set up a
DB/Text database for a small archives?

Answers to any, and all, of these questions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Bryan Parnell