From:
MacKinnon Simpson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 12 Nov 1998 07:28:56 -1000
You bring up an interesting point. Years ago I read somewhere that
Abraham Lincoln read everything aloud (must have been hell in a
restaurant!) Supposedly, comprehension increases dramatically by reading
aloud. Even people who moved their lips--for which we were literally
beaten as kids--had better comprehension than those of us who did it
"right."

I always read poetry aloud and encouraged my children to do the same. On
difficult poems I would read aloud to them and then discuss it. For
Shakespeare we would literally divide up the parts and read the play.
They seemed to both enjoy it and understand the material better.

My questions to the educators on the list: Where does this stand now? Is
lip-moving approved or still frowned upon? Are students encouraged to
read aloud? Do teachers/professors read passages to students in higher
grades?

Aloha,

Mac Simpson