From:
Mike Pearson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 13 Apr 1997 20:59:20 PDT
Hoping one of you brave souls you can shed some light on this...

Dennis Kelly wrote

At 04:50 PM 4/13/97 -0500, Barbara Schmidt wrote:
>Titian's Venus in the Ufizzi in Florence is described in Chapter
>50 of _A Tramp Abroad_. (Page 578-579 of the Oxford edition.)

Can anyone resolve the apparent contradiction between Twain's
"moralistic dudgeon" and his claim that the Moral Sense is to blame
for most human shortcomings?
What did he say, anyway, but I can look it up tomorrow.  Either way,
was he acting in the pattern of Jesus, ie. preventing the
stoning of a woman who lived by the kindness of strangers, asking
"Whoever among you has not sinned, let him (or her) cast the first stone."
-or-
Is this an example of a family man  who regrets his wild younger days
in Virginia City?
-or-
Was he now "playing the game" of his polite society, after previously
believing in  a more free-wheeling rulebook from his life among a rougher
crowd?

Mike