AAOLIST Archives

AAOLIST@YORKU.CA

Date:
Tue, 11 Apr 2000 09:22:20 -0800
From:
Jane Turner <[log in to unmask]>
Sender:
"A forum for discussion for the Archives Assoc. of Ontario" <[log in to unmask]>
At the UVic Archives, we use FileMaker Pro 3.0 (Mac) for all our archival
needs.  We have 3 separate databases: Accessions/Donors, RAD descriptions,
and our Directory of Records (DOR) to manage active university records.
Someday I'll link the Accessions db and the RAD db, but I'm not ready for
that yet. The DOR database is mounted in a FileMaker Pro 4.0 version on a
server for a searchable web version.  You can view it on our website at.
http://gateway2.uvic.ca/archives/archives.html
Click on: "UVic Directory of Records - Online Database"

In true Mac fashion, I have found FileMaker incredibly user-friendly in all
its functions, including design, layout, input and retrieval of complex
archival information. I'd be happy to send you a copy of our file structure
if you would find it useful.

Jane Turner (ex-Ontarian)

>Lewith,
>
>We use FileMaker for some functions in our organization and I am
>planning to use it for our new Archives database. I'd be happy to
>dialogue with you on the subject. Call me.
>
>Jim Craig
>James D. Craig
>Archivist
>The Pentecostal Assemblies of Canada
>905-542-7400

Jane Turner, University Archivist
University Archives
University of Victoria Libraries
P.O. Box 1800 STN CSC
Victoria, BC  V8W 3H5

Tel: (250) 721-8258  Fax: (250) 721-8215
http://uviclib.uvic.ca/archives/archives.html