AAOLIST Archives

AAOLIST@YORKU.CA

Sender:
"A forum for discussion for the Archives Assoc. of Ontario" <[log in to unmask]>
From:
Leith Peterson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 9 Aug 2000 19:21:11 -0400
I have been reviewing the above.  It's 17 pages and available on the
web.  The full title is "an act to promote the use of information
technology in commercial and other transactions by resolving legal
uncertainties and removing statutory barriers that affect electronic
communication" (Bill 88).  The bill was introduced by James Flaherty,
Attorney General for Ontario, on Jun 13/00, where it got first
reading.  There have been a number of articles in the papers and also
a press release from the Attorney General's office about it.

As you probably know, Bill C6, the federal Personal Information
Protection and Electronic Documents Act, was passed in April and is
expected to come into force in Jan 01.  The Ontario equivalent
concentrates on legal documents and contracts, rather than privacy
issues.

Has anybody got any comments on the effect this Ontario legislation
could have on archives in the province?  Pls advise.  If you wish to
contact me offlist about this, my email address is:

Thanks.

Leith Peterson
Archives/Records Consultant
London, Ontario