AAOLIST Archives

AAOLIST@YORKU.CA

Sender:
"A forum for discussion for the Archives Assoc. of Ontario" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 13 Nov 2011 10:04:05 -0500
8bit
From:
"Anna St.Onge" <[log in to unmask]>
To: "Ralph R. Coram" <[log in to unmask]> cc: [log in to unmask]
Thank you Ralph!
I was also crushed when I read the article in the Toronto Star on Saturday.
The Clara Thomas Archives & Special Collections just finished an exhibit with
the Market Gallery which ran from June to October.  The staff at the gallery
were (and remain) professional, supportive and very knowledgeable.  I couldn't
have asked for a more supportive partnership and a better venue for promoting
the history of the Mariposa Folk Festival to the general public.

A venue like the Market Gallery is indispensable for local archival
institutions, especially archives that do not have extensive public hours, lack
exhibit space or are difficult to access by public transportation.  St. Lawrence
Market attracts summer camp groups, elementary class trips, seniors, tourists,
families and the Saturday-coffee-couple-at-the-market crowd.  This wide
spectrum of city residents (and visitors) can be very difficult (and
expensive!) to access through other venues.

I will be writing to city councillors about this issue and I would encourage
others to do the same.

best,
Anna St.Onge
Archivist, Digital Projects & Outreach
Clara Thomas Archives & Special Collections
York University Libraries

http://www.thestar.com/news/article/1085836--hume-city-museum-closures-loom?bn=1#article