From:
[log in to unmask] (Esther-Mirjam Sent)
Date:
================= HES POSTING =================

OK, Ross, let me start the debate. It is interesting that your post
indicates that influence might be measured by economists' impact on public
policy, on popular ideas about the economy, or on political institutions. I
would like to suggest that there are multiple valuation principles
operating simultaneously in (academic economic) science itself: one for
truth, another for fame/credit, and another in money terms (see, e.g.,
Mario Biagioli "Aporias of Scientific Authorship: Credit and Responsibility
in Contemporary Biomedicine," in Mario Biagioli, ed. _The Science Studies
Reader_ New York: Routledge, 1999, pp. 12-30; James Boyle _Shamans,
Software, and Spleens: Law and the Construction of the Information Society_
Cambridge, MA: Harvard University Press, 1996). I have to give credit, so
to speak, to Philip Mirowski, with whom I am editing a book on the
economics of science (_Science Bought and Sold: The New Economics of
Science_ Chicago: University of Chicago Press, forthcoming), for bringing
this to my attention. Additional, and different, valuation principles
operate in popular science, or everyday economics. These include the ones
mentioned in the post. Here "credit" is due to Arjo Klamer and his project
on _The Art of Economic Persuasion_. Hence, given my own interests as an
academic economist, I would have suggested, say, Thomas Sargent or Herbert
Simon as two of the most important/influential U.S. economists of this
century. However, this is judging by (my own) academic standards rather
than everyday, or popular, standards. In addition, though I am certainly no
important/influential U.S. economist, my institution employs yet different
standards in evaluating me. I suppose the researcher at Princeton
University would rather have names than concerns such as those raised in
this posting, but I think it is important to keep these in mind.
Incidentally, these are also important for the mindless scientometric
research that appears every now and then.

Esther-Mirjam Sent
University of Notre Dame
(currently at the London School of Economics on a sabbatical, which gives
me time to post to the list, though spending my time writing a paper,
instead of posting a message, may do me more good as far as academic
valuation is concerned!)
http://www.nd.edu/~esent