From:
[log in to unmask] (Mathew Forstater)
Date:
================= HES POSTING =======================

Well, not only or necessarily the labour theory of value either.  Maybe
the "surplus approach" would better describe it, but it is actually a
combination of a number of characteristics. If we had to pinpoint one
general characteristic distinguishing classical from vulgar Political
Economy for Marx, however, it seems to be that the vulgar economists
examine appearances--surface phenomena--while the classical school tries
to dig beneath the surface, get past the appearance, and get at underlying
"real relations" or the "hidden connections."  He therefore considered
the classical authors "scientific" and the vulgar economists "apologetic."

Two cites from Marx along these lines:

"Once for all I may here state, that by classical Political Economy, I
understand that economy which, since the time of W. Petty, has
investigated the real relations of production in bourgeois society, in
contradistinction to vulgar economy, which deals with appearances only,
ruminates without ceasing on the materials long since provided by
scientific economy, and there seeks plausible explanations of the most
obtrusive phenomena, for bourgeois daily use, but for the rest, confines
itself to systematising in a pedantic way, and proclaiming for
everlasting truths, the trite ideas held by the self-complacent
bourgeoisie with regard to their own world, to them the best of all
possible worlds." (Capital, Volume 1, Part 1, Chapter 1, Section 4, 7th
footnote of that section).

"In fact, the vulgar economists--by no means to be confused with the
economic investigators we have been criticising--translate the concepts,
motives, etc., of the representatives of the capitalist mode of
production who are held in thrall to this system of production and in
whose consciousness only its superficial appearance is reflected.  They
translate them into a doctrinaire language, by they do so from the
standpoint of the ruling section, i.e., the capitalists, and their
treatment is therefore not naive and objective, but apologetic.  The
narrow and pedantic expression of vulgar conceptions which are bound to
arise among those who are the representatives of this mode of production
is very different from the urge of political economists like the
Physiocrats, Adam Smith and Ricardo to grasp the inner connection of the
phenomena." (Theories of Surplus Value, Part III, Addenda).

Mat Forstater